The Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission will hold the Pork, Pickin' & Preservation event at the Killarney house at 6:30 p.m. on June 28.
The event starts with tours of the historic house and entertainment by Junction 280, a local bluegrass band. Dinner and refreshments will be provided by Moe's Barbeque and Southern Appalachian Brewery. At dusk, there will be a showing on a 1925 advertisement film on Henderson County.
Tickets are $50 per person and can be purchased at FountainHead Books, 408 Main St. and the City Planning Department in City Hall, 145 Fifth Ave. East. Seating is limited and proceeds will benefit the Commission's projects.
Located in Hyman Heights, the historic Killarney house dates back to 1858 and sits on land once owned by William Bryson and Mitchell King. In 1870, the land and existing home were sold to Ellen Patton Hyman, and by 1895, Annie E. Patton had purchased the large property and home.
William Haskins Rhett of Charleston purchased the two-story stone cottage in 1908. Following the trend of updating pre-civil war homes, Mr. Rhett hired Richard Sharp Smith to remodel his new home. Raising the roofline, Smith added a wraparound porch, upper balcony and rear addition. Smith also worked on the Biltmore House and designed the Henderson County Courthouse.
The home served as a bed & breakfast in recent years, but has now been remodeled back to a private residence.
For more information about the Pork, Pickin' & Preservation event or the Hendersonville Historic Preservation Commission, visit their websiteor call Lu Ann Welter at 828-697-3088.