Volks, breweries honored as 'Friends of the River'
The Land-of-Sky Regional Council presented "Friends of the River" Awards during the 36th annual "Friends of the River" Dinner in Asheville.
The awards recognize individuals, private organizations, civic groups, and public agencies in Buncombe, Henderson, Madison and Transylvania counties that have made significant contributions toward the enhancement or restoration of the French Broad River as a cultural, economic, natural or recreational resource.
The 2013 award winners are:
- Susan Roderick – for her work over three decades to beautify the community and clean up and protect waterways as executive director of Asheville GreenWorks (formerly Quality Forward).
- Dr. Jim and Mayor Barbara Volk – for their long time involvement in the French Broad River Foundation and RiverLink and for Mayor Volk's environmental leadership on the Hendersonville City Council.
- Blue Heron Whitewater – for encouraging their customers to be good stewards of the river and donating proceeds from their river rafting trips to non-profit causes including programs to protect the French Broad River.
- Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, Oskar Blues and the Asheville Brewers Alliance – for being collectively and individually the best advocates for clean water and the best example of the economic impact that protection of our natural resources — water in particular — can bring to the region.
- William M. Ives — in memory of former Transylvania County commissioner and state Rep. William M. Ives for his efforts to create river cleanup and restoration programs in Transylvania County and at the Land of Sky Regional Council in the 1970s.