Elks Lodge announces essay winners
Six local school children won U.S. Savings Bonds for their essays in which they answered the question, "What Does the National Anthem Mean to Me?"
The Hendersonville Elks Lodge received more than 100 entries for the Americanism Essay Contest.
Students who won the local essay contest for 5th and 6th graders were:
• Alana Robinson, Clear Creek Elementary; teacher is Mrs. Hale
• Susanne Thomas, St. Dominic Savio Homeschool Co-op.
• Grace Vinzant, Clear Creek Elementary; teacher is Mrs. Hale
The students who won the local essay contest for 7th and 8th grade were:
• Nathan Kelsch, Immaculata Catholic School
• Archie Case, III, Immaculata Catholic School
• Joe Maddock, Immaculata Catholic School. Their teacher is Miss Fisher.
The students' essays will be sent to the North Carolina Elks West District to compete with all District winners.
The students won U. S. Savings Bonds for winning the Lodge contest.
They will receive their certificates at an upcoming Lodge awards ceremony.
Hendersonville Elks Lodge 1616 Exalted Ruler Michele Cassone announced the winners.