ECO, the Environmental and Conservation Organization, is soliciting applications for the 2013 Green Business Award and Recognition.
Organizations that have made significant steps toward sustainability receive a window display emblem and publicity. The business with the most outstanding accomplishments will receive the 2013 Environmental Stewardship Award. Deadline for submission is March 18.
A number of recent studies have demonstrated that even in a poor economic climate, consumers are increasingly making purchasing decisions based on how serious a business is about environmental stewardship.
To be meaningful, business practices should span the range of activities:
• Procurement of Goods - Sourcing products locally and regionally as well as minimize packaging.
• Sales and Service - How do businesses minimize the use of bags/boxing.
• Utilities/Building/Equipment/Supplies - Is the business using an existing building, recently had an energy audit, reduced electricity/gas/water usage in a quantifiable way.
• Employees - Do they encourage walking/biking to work, provide a "sustainable wage" and benefits?
• Minimize Waste - How do they reuse items internally, recycle cardboard, bottles, paper and encourage their customers to do the same.
• Community - How do they support local community activities and enrichment.
To receive recognition, a locally own business may complete the Environmental Stewardship Award application available at:
and submit it to ECO 121 Third Avenue West, Hendersonville NC 28792 (692-0385).
ECO will award a certificate based on significant steps in at least three of six categories earns a certificate to display. Outstanding achievements will earn the Environmental Stewardship Award, to be presented in April 2013.
A Tar Heel born celebrates UNC win
Reporting from Hendersonville, Washington Post finds Meadows critics