Free Daily Headlines


Set your text size: A A A

City has openings on zoning, environment and historic boards

The Hendersonville City Council is seeking city residents willing to serve on boards that make decisions and recommendations on zoning, environmental policy and local historic districts and properties.


The City is now soliciting applications from citizens who might wish to serve on the following boards:

  • BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT (alternate position): The Board of Adjustment is made up of seven city residents (appointed by the City Council) and three members who are residents of the city's extraterritorial jurisdiction (appointed by the Henderson County Board of Commissioners). If you have questions about whether you live in the city or ETJ you may call the Planning Department at 697‐3088. The board meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 1:30 p.m.
  • ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY BOARD: This board was formed by the City as a result of its commitment to preserving our natural resources, reducing use of energy and ultimately saving money for our taxpayers. The Environmental Sustainability Board advises the City Council on policies and practices dealing with the environment and energy conservation and assist with citizen‐education efforts. The Board meets monthly on the third Thursday of the month at 4 p.m. One seat is open.
  • HISTORIC PRESERVATION COMMISSION. The nine-member board provides design review for local historic districts and local landmarks and sponsors public education events and tours pf historic properties. It also recommends properties and districts for historic designation. The Commission meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 5 p.m. Members of the commission must live or own property within the City limits or its extraterritorial jurisdiction.

Applications for any of these boards are available on the city website: or by calling the City Clerk at 697‐3005 or by e‐mail:

The city asked that interested people apply by Jan. 6.